Profile of Piano Teacher
- Teaching since 2015
- 6 years of teaching experience
- Diploma Of The London College Of Music in Pianoforte (Distinction)
- ABRSM Grade 6 Theory (Distinction)
- Certified MOE-AMIS instructor; worked as an external music instructor to local primary school students
- Over 15 years experience as a church pianist and performer for occasional events like weddings
- Consistently improving teaching method; attended the ABRSM PDP seminar and the Australian Pedagogy Conference
- Teaching Location: Home Studio at Dakota, Central, East of Singapore
“There are far too many stories of students losing interest in music whilst learning to contribute one more..”
Teachers are critical agents in determining a learner’s altitude and interest in any subject, not just music. Dismayed after hearing enough cases where students have their interest extinguished and eventually not realising their full potential, I have made it my cause to be a teacher that impacts a positive difference.
Hi, I’m Candice. I hold a DipLCM distinction in pianoforte (2007), and I finished with distinction in ABRSM grade 6 theory (2018).
I’m also a certified AMIS instructor, registered with MOE (Ministry of Education) to deliver enriching music curriculum to school children.
When I am not nurturing through teaching, I am:
- Actively involved in my church’s praise and worship ministry. I have more than 15 years experience as a worship pianist (and still counting).
- Happily enjoying the thrill of performing at events like weddings, social functions and as an accompanist for graded assessments on an ad-hoc basis.
- Having tonnes of fun exploring creative styles of playing and improving my improvisation. One of the best opportunities was working with my church on a Christmas album production to record a repertoire of familiar tunes; re-interpreted.
What I Offer
It was my core value to be a responsible teacher committed to each student under my charge that led me to decline a recent offer for a teaching position in a well-known music school, after I had to surrender my current hand of private students upon joining.
I had only one teacher through the course of my journey when there were many who frequent changed theirs, and I strive to retain this trait with all my students.
I possess experience teaching a variety of students ranging from children to adults, serving different purposes like graded exams, leisure playing and for praise and worship.
To date, my students pass the ABRSM exams, some scoring Merit. More importantly, they enjoy learning piano and are adequately competent to independently pick up new pieces!
Customized Holistic Lessons
I teach with a student-centric heart, tailoring my lessons to suit every learner’s needs and being sensitive to them.
Apart from preparing students for the usual graded examinations, I add value by introducing a wide spectrum of music genres, empowering my students to select pieces from their favourite artists, films, musicals to motivate them in playing and develop confidence in performance.
I consistently communicate with my students so I could build a strong rapport with them and understand how to bring out the best in their musical journeys.
Constructive feedback and updates with parents on the child’s progress are also clearly provided to help everyone stay on the same page. Enlisting the support of parents is critical because they naturally spend more time with their children than their piano teachers.
“Thanks again for the awesome lessons. The kids had fun!”