Profile of Piano Teacher
- 17 years of teaching experience
- LTCL Diploma in Piano Performance
- LTCL Diploma in Solo Piano Teaching
- LMusTCL in Music Theory and Literature
- ABRSM Grade 8 in Piano, Grade 8 in Theory
- O level & A level Music (Both Distinctions)
- 88% Merit & Distinction rate for ARBSM/Trinity Practical Exams
- 100% Merit & Distinction rate for ARBSM/Trinity Theory Exams
- Taught Students From Beginners to ATCL and LTCL Diplomas
- Students Attained Awards At International Music Competitions
- Lessons at her place at Upper Bukit Timah, on Yamaha concert grand piano.
Hi, I’m Ms Karen, and I’m a full-time piano teacher giving piano lessons and music theory for over 17 years, at my home studio at Upper Bukit Timah.
Besides an Honours degree in Communication Studies from NTU, 3 Licentiate Diplomas in Music – LTCL Diploma in Piano Performance, LTCL Diploma in Solo Piano Teaching and LMusTCL in Music Theory and Literature. I have also attained Distinctions for O level and A level music during my school days at Raffles Junior College.
Beyond qualifications, I believe in delivering well-organised lessons to get the most out of every student, with effective pedagogical methods carefully refined through more than 17 years of teaching students aged 4 to 72.
Through instilling a sense of commitment and responsibility in students, many have obtained good results in recent years. My students have achieved an 88% Merit & Distinction rate for ABRSM / Trinity practical examinations and a 100% Merit & Distinction rate for Theory. Several students have also successfully obtained their Associate (ATCL) and Licentiate (LTCL) Diplomas.
At international and national events, my students have also won awards:
- First Prize at Junior Piano Category of Golden Classical International Music Competition, New York.
- Second Prize at International Grand Prize Virtuoso Music Competition, Vienna (Below 12 age group)
- Second Prize at Singapore International Piano Competition (Children Class)
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Music Elective Scholarship at Anglo-Chinese Junior College
- Integrated Programme (IP) DSA and Music Elective Scholarship to Raffles Girls’ Secondary
- Performances at Singapore Performers Festival (Silver award), Singapore Music Teachers’ Association
- Music Platform Recital and Double Time Orchestral Programme at Yong Siew Toh Conservatory and Vivace Piano Duet Competition
Below are some of the performances of my students.
Personally, I was an active performer in my student days at Raffles Junior College and Nanyang Technological University. I participated in the Singapore National and Violin Competitions, and performed in recitals at Victoria Concert Hall, Esplanade and Hwa Chong Institution. I am an active piano accompanist and have accompanied at choral festivals and ABRSM exams for students.
I believe that the pursuit of a musical education can benefit people of all ages and abilities. Good results are not an end in itself.
More importantly, it gives students an outlet for expression and a sense of confidence, achievement and self-belief.
Lessons are conducted in my conducive studio at Upper Bukit Timah equipped quality instruments: a Yamaha C5 concert grand and two European upright pianos: a Welmar 126 and Shimmel C-130. See you at my classes!
Teacher Karen is unfailingly professional, kind and nurturing. Her piano lessons are effective and efficient and she is able to extract the most from every student without every being critical and humiliating. Karen can take the most diffident child and encourage them to work to their maximum and make them love and appreciate all there is to music, whatever it takes.
She encompasses that which all piano teachers should have: expertise, patience, enthusiasm, kindness and dedication. She tailors her teaching approach to each individual child in terms of his or her personality, interests and abilities. I have seen this in her teaching approaches with my three daughters, who have been under her
guidance since 4 years old. My eldest, who has since completed her course, was with her for almost a decade (from Grade 1 to Diploma). It has been a joy and privilege to have Karen be a part of my children’s musical education.
Karen is a gentle and patient teacher who seeks to maintain a high standard in her students. My son started lessons with Karen with incorrect playing techniques. She painstakingly ensured my son corrected his mistakes. My son enjoys her lessons and looks forward to her class every week.