Profile of Piano Teacher
Ms Ashley Tjioe
- 5 Years Of Teaching Experience
- Currently pursuing ATCL Diploma in Piano
- Grade 8 in Piano
- Grade 8 Theory (Distinction)
- Keyboardist For Church Worship Team
- Mentor To Church Youth Keyboardists
- Conducts Youth Band Camps And Workshops For Young Musicians
- Teaching Location: Home Studio at Cashew Heights, or Student’s Place at Bukit Panjang, Choa Chu Kang, Hillview, Novena, Newton, And Central areas of Singapore.
Ms Ashley is of the firm belief that every music student should first and foremost develop their ear and ability to distinguish different types of sound, texture, emotions, and harmony.
She attended her first music lesson at age 3, and proceeded to train under the Hungarian style of pedagogy that descended from the lineage of Franz Liszt, under piano master Rickie Oui.
She completed her ABRSM Grade 8 at age 12 and began rigorous training in chorale singing, enabling her to be both a strong vocalist with sight-singing skills that allow her to teach her students more effectively.
Having a strong love for cinematic and pop music, Ms Ashley has developed an ability to translate the aural, technical and performance skills that she had obtained from her rigorous classical training, into transcribing and playing contemporary music by ear.
She has been regularly playing the keyboard for her church worship team, to an audience of nearly 7,000 per service, and has participated in studio work where she recorded tracks for several church albums and local artists.
Ms Ashley believes that learning music should be fun, but the perfectionist streak in her will not stop her from nagging at her students to be patient and disciplined with their practice. She often teaches students how to be independent learners, and is strict with her demands especially of students who are sitting for exams or mastering a new technique.
“Try again,” is a phrase every student hears in all their lessons.